CRIME User/employment verification

From: Steve Nichols (steven@private)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 09:56:07 PDT

    Last night one of our T1 customers had his WUFtp hacked.
    I received a call from a guy that said he was with the NSA, and that the
    compromised system was attacking them.
    He actually called my cell. Which is a private, unlisted number..

    My question.

    Is there a way to verify that an individual actually works for the
    government.
    Can I ask for a badge ID and call a number to verify employment?
    I would hate to suspend a T1 customer's data due to a sour ex-employee,
    impersonating an employee of the government.

    I ended up asking him to email me the log. Which works, but in the off
    chance that I'm not around to receive email......

    Thanks for any info.

    Steven Nichols
    Network and Systems Administrator
    Internet and NOC Manager

                       VALLEY INTERNET COMPANY
                    1709 NE 27th Street, Suite C
                      McMinnville, Oregon 97128
               503-565-5030 or 800-909-9078 (toll-free)
         "Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain..."
       PGP: www.viclink.com/~steven/steven.nichols.pgp.txt