Re: CRIME Computers vulnerable at Oregon department

From: Seth Arnold (sarnold@private)
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 13:48:53 PDT

    On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 12:57:17PM -0700, T. Kenji Sugahara wrote:

    Kenji, nice omnibus response. :)

    > Rob Magee- Could you expound on "management makes decisions based on
    > as much convenience as they can get away with."  I'm curious to know
    > what exactly this means.

    As I understand Rob's statement, this quote may help clarify: "Given a
    choice between dancing pigs and security, users will pick dancing pigs
    every time."  --Ed Felten. Most security, especially of the sort the
    state was being lambasted for not having, is often a significant
    obstacle to getting work done. The various departments don't exist to be
    experts in security -- they exist to perform their various services for
    the state. Spending $100,000 to improve security might not be worth the
    expense if it would prevent $20,000 worth of fraud; the privacy issues
    are much more difficult to quantify, but spending real money on
    intangible benefits is a difficult sell. :)

    As specifics: consider JavaScript, ActiveX, Word/Excel/VBA Macros. All
    are more or less horrible, from a security perspective, but continue to
    persist because they make one group's dancing pigs prettier than other
    groups' pigs...

    > (I wrote an open source license for one our software products- which
    > hopefully will be adopted by many states in their quest for electronic
    > filing in courts- its under evaluation by a consortium of about 5
    > states right now).

    Great! :) Best of luck! Whoooohooo. :)

    --
    http://immunix.org/