Re: CRIME Computers vulnerable at Oregon department

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 15:27:34 PDT

    Greg Jorgensen wrote:

    > On Tuesday, September 24, 2002, at 10:20  PM, Shaun Savage wrote:
    >
    >> I have seen some of the MS support people, and they are worthless.
    >> One person spent two hours trying to hook up a 8 port hub.  The docs
    >> stated port 8 was the crossover connection but if you looked at the
    >> hub, port 1 was.
    >
    > We've all seen incompetence, but extrapolating from a few individuals
    > to conclude that Microsoft-trained techs "are worthless" doesn't help
    > the discussion. You will find incompetence on all platforms and in all
    > environments.

    On the one hand, I agree that anecdotal evidence doesn't help make the
    case for one vendor's support being better than anothers. In fact, I've
    never heard of a vendor that you could not easily dredge up horror
    stories about.

    On the other hand, I think there is something more here. The point&click
    nature of Windows administration makes it much easier for an incompenent
    person (no real understanding of what they are doing) to *appear*
    competent. In contrast, UNIX (Linux, whatever) demands that the admin
    know what they are doing to a fair degree before they can get anywhere.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
    Chief Scientist, WireX                      http://wirex.com/~crispin/