Re: CRIME Computers vulnerable at Oregon department

From: Steve Layman (slayman@private)
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 14:36:04 PDT

    IMHO you get what you pay for. What usually happens to go one step further is
    that contracting companies with connections in Salem and usually with the lowest
    bid get the job. The bottomline is money. As a custom application/database
    developer with current technology skills and knowledge I will accept only those
    jobs that I feel are worth the money being paid. Work is plentiful right now for
    custom application development and the ones looking for work instead of the work
    coming to them will literally work for nothing just to generate income. You get
    what you pay for.

    As to milking the state dry... the project manager needs to have the knowledge
    to know what he/she exactly needs and to realize when they are getting milked.
    That is their responsibility. I have seen too many times where I knew I could
    tell a client that they needed this more expensive solution when I knew if could
    be done more cost effectively with another method or solution. To get that type
    of technical talent costs $$$. I see that as the larger issue.