Re: CRIME better computing for oregon using open source

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Thu Sep 26 2002 - 03:30:23 PDT

    Warren Harrison wrote:

    >I'd be interested in hearing arguments as to
    >whether increased software quality leads to more
    >secure software. I am not entirely convinced these
    >are not orthogonal (the original discussion, if I
    >am not mistaken involved security, not quality :-)

    Absolutely:

        * Reliable software does what it is supposed to do.
        * Secure software does what it is supposed to do, and *nothing else*.
        * Software engineering is the discipline of trying to build software
          that what you expect.

    So they are related. The relationship is sublte, in that software can be
    said to be secure if it fails safe, i.e. halts if the bad guy messes
    with it, but that lets the bad guy deploy a DoS attack against you.

    Crispin

    --
    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
    Chief Scientist, WireX                      http://wirex.com/~crispin/