CRIME Bugbear

From: Christiansen, John (SEA) (JohnC@private)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 11:23:13 PDT

    To the CRIME braintrust:

    A family member appears to have downloaded Bugbear (no, it wasn't me, nor
    was it my computer) - an unfortunate "early adopter" who got hit Friday. I
    had her download the Norton fix but it appears not to fully execute, and
    attempts to update Norton antivirus since also fail. It's a Windows ME box -
    aside from snarfy comments about the application, anybody have a suggestion?
    THX!

    From: John R. Christiansen
    Preston | Gates | Ellis LLP
    701 Fifth Avenue, Seattle, Washington 98104
    *Direct: 206.613.7118 - *Cell: 206.799.9388
    * johnc@private
    Reader Beware: Internet e-mail is inherently insecure. Unencrypted e-mail
    may be accessible to unauthorized viewers, e-mail content may have been
    modified or corrupted, and e-mail headers or signatures may incorrectly
    identify the sender. If you wish to confirm the contents of this message or
    identity of the sender, or wish to arrange for more secure communication
    please contact me using a communications channel other than a "reply" to
    this e-mail. Thank you.

    <<October 5, CNN - 'Bugbear' worms in, opens doors to hackers. The "Bugbear"
    worm, which was first reported in the NIPC Daily on 4 October, ".appears to
    be designed by someone who intended to steal credit card info or other data,
    not necessarily destroy files," said George Stagonis, a researcher for
    anti-virus company Central Command. The number of new cases reported daily
    is rivaling, and even exceeding, that of the better-known Klez virus, a
    similar bug that hit millions of computers this year. "We don't think it's
    peaked yet because it's staying way ahead of people updating their
    anti-virus software," said Stagonis. Source:
    http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/internet/10/04/virus.bugbear/index.html>>