Re: CRIME Dockworker lockout- OT

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 13:39:54 PDT

    Gunderson_Dane wrote:

    >	Wouldn't you agree that in certain industries and within certain
    >timeframes Unions have value?

    Yes, unions have value at times: when employers gain a local [*]
    monopoly lock on jobs in a certain class, and abuse that power.

    Teachers are effectively in this situation, because the State has an
    effective monopoly on education (not counting the economic fringe of
    private schools). The cure to that is to blow all the school boards away
    and completely replace them with competative voucher schools, but that
    is a separate rant :)  Oddly, the teachers resist this de-monopolization
    of the school boards that employ them, for reasons that completely elude me.

    [*] "Local" is a critical qualifier, because workers are not as mobile
    as capital.

    >	And I certainly don't think Sizemore is heading for sainthood but we
    >should all fear the tactics used to bring him ( and Washington's tax
    >activist ) down.
    >	http://news.statesmanjournal.com/article.cfm?i=49304 (the latest)

    I don't buy it. Seizmore's signature collection machine is as crooked as
    the Sandy River.

    ObCRIME: ... uh, .... can't think of anything. I guess this really has
    become OT. I just like to rant about how much unions suck :) I'll stop now.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
    Chief Scientist, WireX                      http://wirex.com/~crispin/