Re: CRIME Dockworker lockout- OT

From: T. Kenji Sugahara (sugahara@private)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 18:03:04 PDT

    Agh.... my .mac account will be hit by spam.  (should've noticed which
    e-mail addy I sent it from)

    In general, I think unions have their place in society.  Nobody can
    deny that they have their positive aspects, nor can anyone deny that
    they do have their negative sides.  Unions have had positive effects of
    increasing workplace safety, increasing wages in underpaid positions,
    and increasing benefits.  On the flip side, they can be faulted for
    being intransigent at times over seemingly trifle issues and have been
    known to bargain for unreasonable pay.

    Again, I do appreciate people's input.  It's interesting to see how
    people react to the idea of union organization in the tech industry.
    Tell you the truth, I'm far from formulating a position on the subject
    as I don' think I have even an inkling of what the ramifications could
    be.

    --The following is REALLY off topic so be warned!  :)

    I must respectfully disagree with the PERS stance.  PERS is in no
    financial trouble and is completely liquid.  However, I do see a lot of
    people upset with the PERS system.  Many individuals feel that Tier 1
    PERS was way too generous.  The SEIU negotiated with the state when
    PERS was founded for the return.  It was a give and take negotiation
    where the state bargained for lower than industry standard wages, and
    in return gave deferred compensation.  During the 90's there was no
    complaints as the stock market was doing extremely well.  It was only
    during the current bienium where many detractors spoke up when the
    state budget began to have its troubles.  I tend to get irked when
    individuals say that or act like the state workers don't deserve the
    retirement benefits.  These state workers work hard and are often
    under-appreciated.

    The problem is there is no way to have Tier 1 or 2 PERS rescinded for
    current employees.  If the legislature decides to try to alter Tier 1
    or 2 for existing employees, then an even worse problem crops up.
    Litigation.  Normally, the Department of Justice would handle such
    issues.  But, since every single DOJ employee is on PERS, they would
    all be consequently conflicted out.  The state would subsequently have
    to hire outside counsel at a cost of between $200-$300 per hour per
    attorney plus other costs.  Needless to say, it would likely cost the
    state millions.  And in the end, the courts would most likely rule in
    favor of the workers as it's really a contractual issue.  However, this
    does not prevent the legislature from changing retirement plans for
    future hires.  But, will the state be willing to pay higher salaries in
    return?