Re: CRIME Dockworker lockout- OT

From: Keith Morse (kgmorse@private)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 23:16:32 PDT

    On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Lyle Leavitt wrote:

    > Unions have out lived their purpose. They have become a dinosaur just
    > begging for a new ice age. Which is sure to come if they continue to
    > operate with their current mind set. Have you noticed how they seem to
    > always go on strike at the most opportune moment when the industry they
    > operate in is the most vulnerable?
    > The idiots need their butts kicked.

    Pardon me, but when was the last time a union organized a lockout?  The
    companies dealing with the union initiated the lockout, not the unions.

    > If the old Professional Air Traffic Controller's Organization (PATCO)
    > had still existed they would probably have gone on strike the day after
    > September 11th. But because they misjudged the political sentiment of
    > the nation in 1981, the Reagon Administration kicked their butts and
    > fired over 11,000 federal employees. The ILWU represents 10,500
    > dockworkers at 29 major Pacific ports and are depriving many more than
    > that number from doing their jobs because of the lock-out.

    > The attacks of 9/11 on the twin towers was an effort to not only destroy
    > lives but also to disrupt our financial infrastructure and bring our
    > economy to its knees. This is a part of the terrorist agenda for which
    > all of us are now paying. If in fact the ILWU lockout is costing a
    > billion dollars a day in loses to our economy then can this not also be
    > considered a terrorist act? As Bush put it, "If they are not with us
    > then they are for the terrorists."

    Well then, I guess bush needs to lauch an airstrike on the companies that
    initiated the lockout.

    > I, along with thousands of others, have been out of work for over a year
    > now. The going salaries for many hi-tech positions, if you can find one,
    > are down by 50% or more from the year 2000. Now the ILWU wants to oppose
    > hi-tech job creation because they fear some may lose their jobs. With
    > the current sentiment in this country all 10,500 of them stand to lose
    > their jobs. It's time we took away their union crutch and make them
    > compete for jobs in the open market like the rest of us. May the best
    > man win?

    Why that would. of course, would be the owners and managers of the
    companies that decreed the lock out.  Damn convenient.