Re: CRIME Identification Alternatives

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Fri Dec 13 2002 - 05:30:26 PST

    T. Kenji Sugahara wrote:

    > I was digging through the NIPC report and found an article that was
    > really interesting.
    >
    > I know a lot of individuals would shy away from a nationalized ID
    > system, but how about an idea proposed by the National Electronic
    > Commerce Coordinating Council?  It proposes a "confederated" system in
    > which Americans could use multiple identifiers for clusters of
    > agencies and/or businesses.  "That advantage of this system over a
    > national ID system is that no single identifier would follow an
    > individual everywhere."

    There are two large problems with national ID, and this proposal only
    addresses one of them. The problem it addresses (and not all that well)
    is the civil liberties issue of making it too easy for the Government to
    track your personal activities.

    The problem it does not address is identity theft: no matter what ID you
    specify, if it becomes a national ID, then its value as an identity
    theft document increases a lot. The offices that issue these credentials
    don't do a great job of authenticating applicants, and the cards
    themselves are not very tamper-resistant or difficult to forge.
    Therefore, making them valid national IDs just increases the motive to
    steal or fake them.

    National ID is a pathologically bad idea. But various branches of the
    Government won't give it up because the ways in which it is pathological
    are non-obvious.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
    Chief Scientist, WireX                      http://wirex.com/~crispin/
    			    Just say ".Nyet"