Re: CRIME

From: Warren Harrison (warren@private)
Date: Fri Mar 14 2003 - 08:21:19 PST

    I can hit the delete button as well as anyone (and
    actually usually do when I notice it is from the CRIME
    mailing list - the ratio of useful info off-topic
    discussions seems unusually large for CRIME).

    However, one thing I will point out to many younger
    members is that over the years, your attitudes and
    aspirations may very well change. Those of you that
    dismiss the notion of political office or a major
    leadership role in a public organization now might
    very well have a much different attitude when you
    are 45 or 50. Unfortunately, unlike the 1970s and 80s,
    when my friends and I might have enjoyed shocking
    each other with extreme viewpoints (you can decide
    for yourself whether any postings over the past
    12 months represent extreme viewpoints or not) in
    private discussions, or even unrecorded public forums,
    everything you say here is part of the public record
    (you are, after all using a mailing list that is
    run from a state institution), and may very likely
    be archived for years.

    People have lost political appointments and
    elections in the past for much less than expressing
    anti-war/pro-war feelings, making atheistic/fundamentalist
    statements, etc.

    My points are that this isn't simply a closed discussion among
    a number of "members", but a publication of your comments
    that could be around for years, and that it is hard to tell
    what you'll want to do with your life, 5, 10 or 20 years
    from now.

    Just an observation.  Warren

    Carter Ames wrote:

    > I agree with Jimmy on this one.  I joined this group
    > for a different reason than to read about politics and
    > someone's view on the world.  Let's all keep focused
    > on the 'vision statement' if you will of the group and
    > the reason for its existence.  There are plenty of
    > channels to discuss politics and other issues.
    >
    > --> /dev/null
    > -C
    > --- "Kuo, Jimmy" <Jimmy_Kuo@private> wrote:
    > > Sorry, Brian,
    > >
    > > Your argument however is that during this period, we
    > > ought to BREAK our
    > > normal rules of posting to this mailing list and
    > > ALLOW political posts.
    > >
    > > This simply is not the medium, war or not.
    > >
    > > Jimmy

    Warren Harrison, EIC/IEEE Software Magazine          warren@private
    Department of Computer Science           http://www.cs.pdx.edu/~warren
    Portland State University                          PHONE: 503-725-3108
    Portland, OR 97207-0751                              FAX: 503-725-3211