Re: CRIME Threatening e-Mail

From: Brian Beattie (beattie@beattie-home.net)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 10:40:51 PDT

    On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 09:45, Steven D. Coffman wrote:
    > Hi,
    > General Question for some of you legal types:
    > Received a threatening e-mail stating I have no where to hide, no safe haven
    > for the likes of your ilk.. This was sent to wife and referred to daughter.
    > Not sure how the heck he got her name.
    > What are the legal implications or recourse I could take for this action?

    First, it is probably an cowardly idiot and nothing more than threating
    email will come of it.  But that is no reason to tahe it lightly, you
    should take all measures to identify the individual and make sure the
    authorities know and that he knows the authorities know.  You should
    contact the the postmaster of the orginating site.  If he runs his own
    site, contact his ISP.  I'm not sure what help is any the police can be,
    but you might talk to them as well.

    As for information regarding your daughter she was probably mentioned in
    some email of web page that this individual has run across.

    --
    Brian Beattie            | Experienced kernel hacker/embedded systems
    beattie@beattie-home.net | programmer, direct or contract, short or

    "Honor isn't about making the right choices.
    It's about dealing with the consequences." -- Midori Koto