RE: CRIME Senator Hatch - Destroy file swappers' computers

From: Christiansen, John (SEA) (JohnC@private)
Date: Thu Jun 19 2003 - 09:55:46 PDT

    Crispin -

    I actually have been giving this a lot of thought, and research, and
    discussion with other folks, and while I agree that more often than not you
    will be dealing with a victimized party, that doesn't end the analysis. As a
    legal matter the "innocence defense" - or "inattentive and clueless defense"
    - at some point turns into the *negligence liability* which might justify
    intervention.

    When and under what conditions that should happen is not at all clear -
    that's part of what I'm trying to figure out - but from a strictly legal POV
    the fact that your machine is the instrumentality of harm to my systems
    means either (1) intentional activity on the part of the machine's owner, or
    (2) potentially actionable negligence on the part of the machine's owner, if
    securing it according to the applicable standard of care would have
    prevented a third party from using it for the attack. In either situation
    there is caselaw emerging which would support getting a court order to stop
    the activity - see Intel v. Hamidi (California, computer trespass by
    intentional mass email) and CI Host v. Devx (Texas, negligence in allowing
    defendant's systems to be taken over to attack plaintiff's network). The
    question then is, if I could get a court order to stop harmful activity, can
    I stop it myself without one?

    There is precedent in other areas of the law which indicates that self-help
    may be justifiable to prevent the use of another's property to harm your
    own, under conditions which might be fairly analogized to this kind of
    situation (again, figuring out if the analogy works and what its limitations
    and misleading assumptions might be is part of what I'm trying to figure
    out). If I did hack back I might face criminal prosecution and/or a civil
    suit by the party whose machine I at least partially deactivated, so I
    better have very strong facts which would both convince a prosecutor my
    activity was sufficiently justified that prosecution isn't worth pursuing,
    and a judge (and possibly a jury) that the other guy's own fault and the
    risk of harm to me was sufficiently great that I shouldn't be liable for
    civil damages. And in order to do so I'd need sufficient financial and
    personnel time reserves to withstand the burden of responding to
    investigations and potentially litigation, and lots of persuasive, credible
    expertise on my side.

    Being on the bleeding edge of the law is probably even riskier and more
    expensive than being on the bleeding edge of technology - but consider the
    technology environment we are in. I know of at least one credible report of
    a hack back (which was apparently effective and had no legal fallout), and
    have heard tell of others. Somebody, somewhere (somebodies, more likely)
    will take the law into his/her own hands - maybe to stop some kind of
    attack, maybe to protect some (real or purported) intellectual property -
    without thinking through consequences or justification. Or, an organization
    which really does have critical infrastructure protection or homeland
    security responsibilities may have good reason to believe key systems are
    under some kind of genuine threat which cannot otherwise be reasonably
    managed in the time and under the operating conditions which apply, and will
    need to know what might happen if this option were exercised.

    In the former case we need some reasonably well articulated theory which
    might help educate the wannabe vigilante - "just say no" probably being a
    less effective strategy, though it's a given that some people may be beyond
    any education - and will give prosecutors and judges a principled way to
    decide how to handle the matter. Federal prosecutors and judges in
    particular may want this, since they may be concerned to articulate
    decisions which both define why the case at hand calls for prosecution or
    punishment - if it does - while preserving the theoretical right of national
    defense/homeland security agencies at least to undertake such actions. Which
    gets us to the latter case, in which situation having some sense of the
    potential "rules of engagement" which might allow justified action would at
    least let the organization address the question and move on, and might
    permit an action which would in fact be beneficial and preserve valuable
    assets which would otherwise be lost. (I'm trying to avoid overly alarmist
    scenarios - for example, if the question is "should we put SCADA systems on
    the Internet" I would definitely "just say no" - but there are many other
    valuable assets and systems which cannot reasonably be disconnected, etc.)

    The underlying problem is that there is no effective method for prompt law
    enforcement intervention and other legal recourse is generally slow and
    cannot in itself generate protections. Under these conditions there is
    probably an inevitable drift toward vigilantism - that's why we have the
    RIAA and MPAA and Sen. Hatch taking these positions. So in lieu of
    "sherriffs" with effective enforcement powers - which is what Sen. Hatch
    would apparently de facto permit copyright holders to act as - it is up to
    the community to figure our how to manage these problems. That's what I'm
    trying to work out, as are a number of other folks.

    I agree, risk analysis is going to show that hack backs are *almost* always
    the wrong thing to do. But we've got to know how to handle it when somebody
    does the wrong thing, without unnecessarily foreclosing it in the rare (but
    by definition important) situations where it might be the right thing to do.

    John R. Christiansen
    Preston | Gates | Ellis LLP
    *Direct: 206.370.8118
    *Cell: 206.683.9125
    Reader Advisory Notice: Internet email is inherently insecure. Message
    content may be subject to alteration, and email addresses may incorrectly
    identify the sender. If you wish to confirm the content of this message
    and/or the identity of the sender please contact me at one of the phone
    numbers given above. Secure messaging is available upon request and
    recommended for confidential or other sensitive communications.