Re: CRIME Deletion of saved emails that are one month old

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Sat Jun 21 2003 - 21:53:47 PDT

    yazidbenkhellat@private wrote:

    >I have an email service with a DSL provider.
    >I discovered yesterday that their server is deleting all my emails
    >that are one month old even the ones that are moved from inbox
    >and saved to specific folders.

    That is pretty unusual.

    >My questions are:
    >1. Is this common practice with other service providers?

    No. Standard practice is to give you a fixed amount of space, and when
    you overflow it and new stuff arrives, they (fairly arbitrarily,
    according to some policy) choose something to delete, and/or reject the
    incoming mail.

    >2. Is there a liability issue with the provider
    >by deleting saved emails without prior warning/notification?

    Probably not. Read your terms of service.

    >3. Do I have legal right to ask the provider to bring back
    >the deleted emails?

    Probably not. Read your terms of service.

    And get a better ISP. This one sounds pretty stupid. But even when you
    get the new one, read your terms of service. There likely still is some
    kind of storage cap, and you need to know what it is and manage your
    space accordingly.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.           http://immunix.com/~crispin/
    Chief Scientist, Immunix       http://immunix.com
                http://www.immunix.com/shop/