Re: CRIME Security Training for Managers/Executives

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Wed Jul 16 2003 - 12:23:48 PDT

    Rich Rohrich wrote:

    > Have a Manager who has been moved into a role which oversees Security
    > Operations.  He'd like to understand more about what we do for a
    > living, but he feels he needs some orientation/training so that he
    > understands a little more of the technical details (although at a high
    > level).
    >
    > There are plenty of training classes out there for Information
    > Security Professionals, but little (that I am aware of) for IT
    > Managers so they understand the basic concepts.  Some of the offerings
    > I've seen out there talk about training for managers, but when I look
    > at the course material, it looks a little too technical.  Its hard to
    > tell.  Looks like what we need is some advice/recommendations.  Anyone?

    Shameless plug for USENIX Security
    <http://www.usenix.org/events/sec03/>, August 4-8, Washingtond DC.
    USENIX has real content, and thus attracts really technical people
    working on how to make security better. Plug is shameless because I'm on
    the program committee and I have a paper.

    SANS, in contrast, is primarily about education, and so tends to attract
    people who scammed their manager into a $5000 junket to replace a $50
    O'Reilly book :) It's high-quality training, in that the course is often
    taught by the person who wrote the O'Reilly book, but it is still the
    case that attendance at USENIX is dominated by do'ers and attendance at
    SANS is dominated by wanna-be's.

    Another alternative is Black Hat Briefings
    <http://blackhat.com/html/bh-link/briefings.html>, July 28-31, Las
    Vegas. Black Hat is explicitly training provided by serious hackers for
    managers.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.           http://immunix.com/~crispin/
    Chief Scientist, Immunix       http://immunix.com
                http://www.immunix.com/shop/