Re: CRIME SOBIG ADVISORY

From: Wil Cooley (wcooley@private)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 16:24:48 PDT

    On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 16:19, Craig.Schiller@private wrote:

    > I also  appreciate getting sent a message that someone in my domain is
    > sending out viruses.  Perhaps the virus scanners of the world could include
    > a flag in the data base that the engine uses that would indicate whether a
    > virus spoofs the source.   Then the part of the software that sends notices
    > to the senders would know that the sender was faked.  In this way the help
    > desks of the world would not be bombarded by questions from users that
    > never actually had the virus.  The world would be grateful and throw money
    > at these vendors.

    amavisd-new (used in my Naked Ape Mail Defender) has a regex of virus
    names that fake the sender and supresses notifications for those
    messages.  It can also be configured to suppress messages to users
    altogether, and only report to the administrator.

    Wil
    --
    Wil Cooley                                 wcooley@private