Re: CRIME Wiretapping WiFi

From: Duane Nickull (duane@private)
Date: Wed Oct 15 2003 - 13:59:50 PDT

    That does beg the comparison to unencrypted email being sent over public
    networks. If the network is public, does that also grant anyone a right to
    intercept without a warrant?

    I elaborated a lot on my reply to Bill since the subsequent use of the information is very important.  If a law enforcement officer overheard a an unencrypted 2.4 ghz WiFi discussion and ascertained that someone was doing something illegal, it is arguable whether or not he may use that evidence in court directly.  He or she could, however, use that information to set up further surveillance that results in a conviction and the perpetrator may never know that the original communication was comprimised.

    I would therefore assert that the context in how privileged information will be used is a factor in the methods and means of which it may be captured.

    Curd, Bill (AZ75) wrote:
    Actually, the only thing Bill wrote was:

    My understanding from a prosecutor in the Arizona AG's office is that the 2.4 GHz WiFi is not private because of the ISM frequency band used which is inherently public by FCC allocation.
    And, despite all that has been exchanged, I still doubt any warrant would be necessary for intercepting unencrypted 2.4 GHz band traffic -- any more than overhearing a loud conversation in a public place or listening to an AM-FM broadcast.  They are inherently public.