Re: CRIME Wiretapping WiFi

From: Alan (alan@private)
Date: Wed Oct 15 2003 - 10:25:01 PDT

    On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 20:07, Crispin Cowan wrote:
    > A friend posed this question, and I have no idea what the answer might be:
    >
    > If I'm running an open, non-encrypted wireless network, what is (say) the
    > FBI allowed to intercept in an effort to gain evidence?  Do they need a
    > warrant?  Is the data admissible?  What if I live in an apartment with
    > other folks.  What about when I'm using a t-mobile hotspot?

    Since they can get to your WAP without leaving their office, I would
    guess not.

    > Same questions, but this time, I'm running an encrypted network?  Can they
    > capture the data and crack the key?  Can they capture it for later use after
    > they sieze my equipment and get my key?

    Rubber hose cryptanalysis usually works.  Also, if you use the standard
    802.11b encryption, things like AirSnort will break it given enough
    traffic.

    > No, I'm not under surveillance

    That you know of.

    > I'm giving a presentation and I know I'm
    > going to get asked these questions.
    >

    > Any lawmen out there know the actual answer?

    The law is what they can get away with.  Since monitoring of a wireless
    network is passive, how can you prove that they listened in?  (Since
    courts can now accept spectral evidence in cases of "national security"
    (especially when monitoring foreign nationals), you would never see what
    they held against you.)

             alan at clueserver.org - alan at ctrl-alt-del.com

        "...new-fangled and artificial treasons have been the great
        engines by which violent factions, the natural offspring of
        free government, have usually wreaked their alternate
        malignity on each other...."
                      - James Madison in The Federalist No. 43,