A "State of CRIME" Message

From: George Heuston (GeorgeH@private)
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 11:21:59 PDT

Folks,

The CRIME group has been around now for over 10 years.  Our wonderful
sponsors (first Verizon and now Structured) and I, have consciously kept
it as informal as possible.  Arguably, that's why it has lasted this
long, and has become more than your average dues-paying, office-holding,
rez-building association.

Background: Richard Clarke, back in the days when he was just the Cyber
Security Czar and not an author :), saw CRIME as a prime example of a
true grass-roots, no-frills get-the-job-done networking group that
successfully spanned infrastructure boundaries, deemed critical in the
post-911 environment.  He appreciated that this mixing of 'oil and
water' - law enforcement, hackers, academia, and the private sectors,
rarely produces a useful vinaigrette. It is so rare in fact, that this
is the reason why CRIME was invited onto the dais, in place of much
heavier hitters, to speak at the June 2002 Town Hall meeting on Securing
Cyberspace, hosted my Mr. Clarke and PSU.  Clarke was so impressed with
the group, and your attendance and participation in the meeting, that he
asked me if he could link our CRIME URL to his web site.

The Problem: That being said, I see that we are at a crossroads.  Other
orgs, such as Infra-Gard and ISSA, are now an established part of the
local landscape-among many others.  They have structure, are
dues-funded, and therefore, have the "legs" to last.  As for CRIME, I
don't want to go the dues or chapter-affiliation route.  We tried that
early on, and it was a fiasco.  The national affiliate had major
problems that set chapters in turmoil.  We seceded and morphed into
CRIME.  I believe that our greatest fundamental strength has been that
we are a distributed, informal entity.  There is a point in all
endeavors however, where drag can overcome thrust, and you're not flying
anymore.

To continue the metaphor, I have reached the point in pilot lingo where
I've run out of "airspeed, altitude, and ideas, all at the same time."
We lost this month's speaker in the 11th hour and thus had to cancel the
meeting.  I am at the bottom of my rolodex to find quality speakers.  I
don't want to let down Structured Inc, our current sponsor, who pays no
small fees for the conference room and coffee at the Zoo.

A Possible Solution:  I have asked CRIME member Richard Busby to step
into the position of arranging the monthly topics and speakers.  He has
agreed to do so.  However, it is unfair to him to hand over this
obligation if indeed the org is at the end of its practical lifespan.
All of you out there are the collective energies that have driven the
remarkable resilience and success of CRIME, as Richard Clarke observed
at the Town Hall meeting.  I believe there's viability in this
organization, and that the soul of it lies not only in the meetings, but
also in the threads of this list-warts, flames, diatribes, and all :)!
From my perspective, the value of all this has far exceeded either my
expectations or hopes.  You folks rule!

subject to the tolerance and good graces of our sponsor.  We will see
how it goes over the next few months, then re-evaluate. What we request
of you members within range is-please mark your calendars for 2nd
Tuesdays-and attend the meetings when you can.

Geo