Re: A "State of CRIME" Message

From: Raan Young (raan@graand-visions.com)
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 13:56:25 PDT

While I rarely get a chance to attend the monthly meetings, I appreciate
the existance of the group and I enjoy (and sometimes benefit from) the
email exchanges.  I'd hate to see things fall apart.

On the other hand, I've founded several organizations and I can
certainly relate to George's issues.  Unfortunately there isn't much
concrete that I can do to help at this point.

However -- a couple of thoughts regarding the sponsorship/meeting-cost
issues:

How about charging an at-the-door fee to cover some or all of the costs
of the meeting room?  A scheme like this might work -- 1) announce
speaker and give an RSVP deadline (say 1 week before), 2) compute
per-attendee admission fee based on number of RSVP's and possible
sponsor support, 3) create RSVP name list, 4) collect fee at door (cash
only) -- people who did not RSVP (ie name not on list) get in at 50%
more than fee.  I'm assuming the fees would be in the $5 range,
otherwise it's time to look for a cheaper location :-)  If some minimum
number of RSVP's is not met, the meeting is canceled.

And maybe the meetings could move to different areas -- Portland, Salem,
Eugene, others?  That way people that can't make the drive would be able
to attend at least some local meetings.  Might broaden the speaker base
as well, and might bring in some co-organizers for the different areas.

Raan Young