How you got into the field?

From: daniel heinonen (d.heinonenat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2001 - 18:47:14 PDT

    Hi All,

    Lurk turned poster.

    I have to say this mailing list has turned into a wealth of knowledge.

    I am currently a Information Technology Graduate who is not studying
    Justice Studies (security + intelligence) at the university I work for.  I
    was thinking about doing a masters in Information Technology and focusing
    on security but i had the fear that this would be too involved in specific
    protocols (encrypted transport and smart cards) rather than methodologies
    themselves.  I have found the security degree is giving me insights into
    proper procedures and policies and also management practices.  Only being 7
    weeks into the course I wont dare say i am an expert in the field but I
    believe that the approach I took to training was a fairly unique one and I
    believe it was the right path for me.  Can anyone else explain how they got
    into forensic computing and if there are any tips i should be aware of ?

    Where to from here.  At present i am doing a Graduate Certificate (4
    subjects relating to security) then i wish to go onto a masters in course
    work.  With the Information Technology sections of this course being very
    brief I do a lot of my own research.  Does anyone else have any suggestions
    as to what i should do to get my credibility and experience in the field of
    Forensic Computing?

    Thanks in advance,

    Daniel Heinonen
    Computer Systems Officer