Re: File times?

From: Julian Tibble (chasmat_private)
Date: Sat Jun 30 2001 - 05:15:17 PDT

    I haven't got an NT machine on hand to test this, but I suspect that the
    date on the GENERAL tab was when the document was actually created, but
    the date on the STATISTICS page was when it was copied to floppy disk.

    Hence the date on the STATISTICS tab would perhaps me more useful in a
    forensic investigation if you are looking for a program installation date
    since all files will have the date that the program was compiled by the
    software company on the GENERAL tab, whereas they would have the true
    date of installation on the STATISTICS tab.

    It might help to think of the GENERAL tab as being the "document" creation
    date and the STATISTICS page being the "file" creation date.

    Julian

    and tracking system please see:

    http://aris.securityfocus.com