Re: Preview in Encase (or other package) rather than image

From: mhtat_private
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 00:30:58 PDT

    It actually depends on the motions that are filed with the court, in some
    cases, full disclosure of the logical files may not be requested.  Printed
    versions of emails may or may not be used, depending on the the type of
    case that is being viewed. Nothing really increases court confidence, it
    really depends on how money either of the party has to spend on litigation.

    To answer the other question:  The documented policy and procedure on chain
    of evidence handling and how a full image of digital media is done is very
    crucial.  In some cases, worksheets indicating who, where, what, and time
    when evidence was passed is also essential.  Some organizations at one time
    or another used labels, and scratched initials on drives they were
    handling.  In those cases, how the evidence was handled was highly
    questionable and thus the evidence attained could not be used because
    properly documented policy and procedures were not done.

    A security consultant should always follow the policies and procedures
    established by their organization in evidence handling, although most
    organizations are still in the process of formulating and standardizing
    their process

    /mark..