Re: Where is the data written?

From: Bruce P. Burrell (bpbat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 19:36:20 PDT

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2001 David Douthitt <ssratat_private> wrote:

    [snip]
    > My understanding is that the original Mac 3.5" floppy drive (and later,
    > the Apple II SuperDrive) were all variable-speed; out of curousity....
    > how was it with them, and how did the variable speed affect the layout
    > of the tracks?

       Outside-in, and:

       Track   Sectors
        0-15    12
       16-31    11
       32-47    10
       48-63     9
       64-79     8

    > I couldn't say if they were "constant linear velocity" but one
    > suspects they must have been...

       Dunno either, but I'm guessing *not*.

       -BPB

    University of Michigan AntiVirus Team Leader
    University of Michigan Data Recovery Team Leader
    PGP 2.6.2 key fingerprint:  0D A5 98 3C 91 DA E0 DD  9C 6D FA 8F 4D 34 95 ED

    and tracking system please see:

    http://aris.securityfocus.com