Re: Where is the data written? MiniCDs

From: daniel heinonen (d.heinonenat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 16:16:48 PDT

    David,

    Mini CDs do not have to be round.  They only have to fit in the inner most
    resess of the CD drive bay.  Since the data only takes up the middle and
    outwards they can stop before the shape hinders this.   They did have
    problems with producing business card cds as they were not good at spinning
    around and made noises and were not reliable since they were jumping around
    the bay so much.  After a while i guess they found a nice shape that could
    spin at high speeds.   I have seen CDs of all shapes some of cars some of
    the sun with spikes out of it.  Some CDs plain and simply will only work
    well on like laptop type cd bays where you place the cd on a pin etc.

    This is all based on stuff a supplier told me when i was in Singapore just
    before the business cards were mainstream.  (saw some and said how the F$%K)

    http://cardiscs.com/citiscape-retail/usadescar.html

    -Daniel Heinonen

    At 02:23 PM 10/07/01 -0400, you wrote:
    >My understanding is that the original Mac 3.5" floppy drive (and later,
    >the Apple II SuperDrive) were all variable-speed; out of curousity....
    >how was it with them, and how did the variable speed affect the layout
    >of the tracks?  I couldn't say if they were "constant linear velocity"
    >but one suspects they must have been...
    >
    >Also, how is it the miniCDs are not round?

    and tracking system please see:

    http://aris.securityfocus.com