RE: Where is the data written?

From: lbuchanaat_private
Date: Fri Jul 13 2001 - 07:56:03 PDT

    Hi,

    Zoned hard disks (drives with more sectors per track on outer tracks) have
    been around since at least 1995.  What the drive controller reports to the
    system may be different than the actual physical layout.  Interleaving
    isn't much of an issue these days with intelligent controllers with large
    caches.

    An issue I have not paid much attention to, and I have not seen any
    discussion of on this or other lists is track or cylinder sparing.  How do
    you get the data off of tracks or cylinders that have bad blocks and the
    drive controller has mapped them to the spare area of the drive?  When
    would you actually need to do this in practice?  I guess that it would be a
    situation where you knew the suspect had the ability to access spared
    tracks or unused portions of the spare area.

    B Cing U

    Buck

    and tracking system please see:

    http://aris.securityfocus.com