Re: Where is the data written?

From: Michael H. Warfield (mhwat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 13 2001 - 20:50:49 PDT

    On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 04:06:58PM -0700, Richard C Bond wrote:

    > Old disks - same sector/track end to end

    > newer disks  -  more sectors ouside ( 2-3 zones )

    	Not...

    	Not even close...

    	There were old disks that were CLV (more sectors outside) and there
    are plenty of "newer disks" (CAV) that are same sector end to send.  (Ok...
    Depends on what you call "Old disks"...  Mid '80s is old enough for me.
    I was still dealing with 8" Floppies.)

    	Newer vs older is a lame red herring that has been with us for
    damn near 20 years or more (I engaged in this discussion in a tech class
    in the early '80s).

    > old disk tech
    > rcb

    > On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Randy Zagar wrote:

    > > >While much of a disk's behavior (interleave, etc) is operating system
    > > >specific, the outermost track is where sector 0 resides, and the innermost
    > > >track is where the disk ends.  The reason for this is because there are more
    > > >sectors on the outer track, so reads will be faster at the outer track
    > > >(since hard drives are fixed-speed and not variable-speed like CDROMs).
    > >
    > > I don't believe this statement is correct.  The number of sectors per
    > > track/cylinder is, I believe, a constant.  Optimizing the interleave
    > > becomes a much more complicated problem if sectors/cylinder is variable.
    > >
    > > The interleave is basically an indication of how much the disk is going
    > > to rotate while the head is moving from one track to another.  If the
    > > number of sectors/cyl change as you move across the disk, then you would
    > > need a different interleave for the outer and inner portions of the disk.
    > >
    > > Data on the outer tracks is written at a lower physical density (fewer
    > > bits per inch) and is the reason why you have the higher signal-to-noise
    > > ratio that was mentioned in another posting.
    > >
    > > -RZ
    > >
    > > p.s.  If I'm wrong I'll accept that gracefully, but I don't think I am...

    > > This list is provided by the SecurityFocus ARIS analyzer service.
    > > For more information on this free incident handling, management
    > > and tracking system please see:
    > >
    > > http://aris.securityfocus.com
    > >

    > --
    > -
    > Richard Bond (rbondat_private  (206) 605-3561
    > System Administrator                          K-351, Health Sciences Center
    > Department of Molecular Biotechnology         Box 357730
    > University of Washington                      Seattle, WA 98195

    > and tracking system please see:
    >
    > http://aris.securityfocus.com

    --
     Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhwat_private
      (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/