Re: Putting a signature on logs

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 16:54:07 PDT

    On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 02:57:11PM -0400, David Douthitt wrote:
    > Now it occurs to me that someone could say, "Gee, how do we know that
    > these logs haven't been altered?"
    >
    > What about a digital signature for each log?  How would you go about
    > this?  I was thinking of using gpg (GNU Privacy Guard) but haven't
    > gotten far enough to know how - and my reference book is the PGP book
    > from O'Reilly and Associates.

    gpg (and pgp) are overkill for this application.

    The ubiquitous 'md5sum' program will be sufficient for this task, as
    long as you have written the md5sum of the files down in a
    tamper-resistant place. For our Immunix OS updates, bugtraq and its
    mirrors are sufficient. For forensics work, I would imagine a singed and
    dated piece of paper with the md5sum printed on it (printed just to save
    you the trouble and inaccuracies of hand writing the md5sum) would be
    sufficient.

    Many people will suggest you need a MAC (message authentication code)
    for this purpose; there may be something to this theory, but because a
    MAC depends upon a hidden password, you really don't gain much because
    you must publish the password for the MAC to be useful to convince
    anyone else that the logs are legitimate.

    Public key crypto doesn't really help in this case, unless a
    hand-written signature on a printed md5sum is *not* sufficient.

    and tracking system please see:

    http://aris.securityfocus.com