Re: Signature on logs/eMail

From: William D. Colburn (aka Schlake) (wcolburnat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 10:02:45 PDT

    Sendmail operates as both a Mail Transmission Agent (port 25) and as a Mail
    Submission Agent (port 587).  With SMTP AUTH the initial message
    submission is authenticated, so the signing could reasonably take place
    inside sendmail.

    Even with AUTH though, I think that the signature would only be valid to
    show that the message wasn't altered since it passed through the
    sendmail in question.  If the message is important enough that it needs
    a signature, the sender should apply it before sending it.  The server
    provided signature would be most useful for other out of band features.
    For instance, if the server verifies that the message had no viruses in
    it when it passed through, then the signature would prove that it
    didn't (and that something later on added them).  The server signature
    could also include a third-party encrypted timestamp against a hash of
    the signed part of the document.

    On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 04:14:34PM -0700, Ben Ford wrote:
    > >There has been discussion of applying signatures to logs, however how about
    > >eMails?
    > >
    > >Does anyone know about a pre/post-processor or sendmail patch, etc. That
    > >could be used to apply a hash and SN to an eMail along with a signature and
    > >then log this information somewhere?
    > >
    > >-D
    > >

    > Isn't this kind of looking at it the wrong way?  What is to say that the
    > mail hasn't been intercepted between sender and server and altered?  Of
    > course, secure sendmail helps alleviate that.
    >
    > I think this is something that should be performed at the client level,
    > like PGP is now.
    >
    > -b
    >
    > --
    > So, make a real effort to avoid getting sucked into all the expensive
    > lifestyle habits of typical Americans.  Because if you do that, then
    > people with the money will dictate what you do with your life.
    >                 --Richard Stallman

    William Colburn, "Sysprog" <wcolburnat_private>
    Computer Center, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology
    http://www.nmt.edu/tcc/     http://www.nmt.edu/~wcolburn