Re: Recovering data from a wiped HD

From: Matthew.Brownat_private
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 13:30:21 PDT

    Javi

            This issue comes back from time to time.  The Usenix needs to
    provide a proof of concept, I'm not sure they realized how often this
    theory would be revisited.  This was a concern of ours during the Cold
    War, while I was in the DoD that is.

    Costs:  The equipment costs, no longer appears to be an issue.  You would
    need a raw disk platter controller and mount, a clean room, a semi
    powerful microscope. This is just the basic equipment list, but could cost
    under $10,000.00 before you could start your own microscopic examination
    of the bit areas, which are referred to as "domains".

    Probability/Candidates:  There are two types of candidates for this
    theoretical procedure.
            1.  If the drive has been zeroized (old Crypto variable term) to
    overwrite all data (hex 00 written to each byte = all binary zeros written
    to each domain).  It might be like trying to interpret a  poster on a wall
    that has been white-washed.  The problem is that both the ones and the
    zeros have had zeros written on top of them.  The only hope you have is
    that the most recent constant zeroizing process would be slightly
    (microscopically) off-set, there by revealing the previously recorded
    binary digit pattern.  This may even work even if the different patterns
    are swept across the drive several times.
            2.  If the drive has been re-partitioned, reformatted, and a new
    instance of an operating system has been installed.  Good luck.  That
    would be like trying to interpret a poster with another poster plastered
    on top.  I do not consider this a candidate, at all.

    Time:    Do the math!  How many domains are there on a 20GB laptop hard
    drive?  Multiply the number of domains by how long it would take to
    visually determine a single domain and then toggle the domain on another
    drive.  I didn't promise there wouldn't be a math test today.  Hint:  A
    lifetime.  I'd hate to QC this person's work, what an error rate.  I do
    concede that this process could possibly be automated.

    Legal:  Opposing counsel's expert witness would have a field day.  "So,
    basically you changed the bits as you saw fit"?

    Conclusion:  Possible Urban Myth.  I've seen what these domains look like
    under a microscopic examination, only after seeing the actual work in
    front of you, do you truly realize what we are talking about.

    Thanks,
    Matthew Brown, CISSP

    Javi Polo <javipoloat_private>
    10/02/2001 06:06 AM