Re: "Am I ready" and other neat questions

From: Kurt Seifried (bugtraqat_private)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 18:47:29 PDT

    From: "J. J. Horner" <jhornerat_private>

    >1.  Any problems in imaging a SCSI drive to an IDE drive?  If
    >the SCSI bus is significantly faster, will I encounter errors trying
    >to write to an IDE33/66 drive?  Any issues that prompt people to
    >image to same-bus drives?  dd is my friend.

    Data is data. Unless you want to do something like: dd if=/dev/sda
    of=/dev/sdb with identical drives which would result in a nice copy to work
    with. The only other thing that comes to mind are those older machines with
    drive overlay software (ech) which would probably cause you grief.

    >2.  I'm considering a forensic setup where I have a headless
    >PC-type machine for mounting the drives (linux), with a laptop
    >providing interaction through the serial port via null-modem cable.
    >Anything to consider using this setup?

    I would put a head on it, you will want to access the BIOS probably, and I
    would reccomend a totally minimal boot. Attaching a drive containing
    evidence to a Linux system that is say on the network and you later discover
    contains a security hole could cast some doubt on the evidence (did someone
    login and tamper with it?). Same goes for moving data over networks,
    modifying nfs/samba traffic on the fly is possible. Use encryption and
    cryptographically secure checksums like SHA1!

    >3.  Any other good books on the forensics process I should know about?
    >I've got O'Reilly's book, but haven't read it yet.  I've read
    >"Basic Steps in Forensic Analysis of Unix Systems", and sometimes
    >re-read parts of it.  If you've mentioned books or papers on the
    >list before, don't mention them again.  I'll search the archive.

    There are several new forensics books but I haven't had time to look at
    them, but two of the new ones look good (cover tech, where people hide
    evidence/etc) but tend to be windows/workstatsion centric. The coroners
    toolkit has some great documentation.

    >4.  Any current members of incident teams:  any good public
    >records that relate to testifying, evidence handling, or
    >court hearings available would be good.  I'd like to see
    >what a court appearance is like for a forensic examiner.

    Me too =)

    Kurt Seifried, kurtat_private
    A15B BEE5 B391 B9AD B0EF
    AEB0 AD63 0B4E AD56 E574