Re: JS.Trojan.Fav.c and JS.Trojan.Seeker.o on a system compromised with netbus

From: H Carvey (keydet89at_private)
Date: Sat Oct 20 2001 - 23:39:38 PDT

Mailer: SecurityFocus

A couple of points may be in order, particularly
how you're going about this analysis.  Did you
make a bit-image copy of the drive, or are you
sitting at the console of the live system?

I'm not asking this to tell you that you're wrong
for doing it one way or another, but rather to get
a better idea of what you have access to.

>The scripts have a non-destructive payload and
> just adds some XXX links to the favorites in IE.

I'd think that these are definitely a dead-end w/
respect to the NetBus installation.

The suggestion to check email files is a good one.
 Look for any .exe files in the email attachments.
 It's quite simple these days to bind a trojan to
some other file.  Be sure to look in the Recycle
Bin, as the user may have deleted the .exe file.

What shares does the system have available?  What
do the contents of the autoexec.bat, win.ini,
system.ini look like?  If you remember Lance
Spitzner's "Worms at War" paper, one method used
by the attacker was to copy the executeable over
to the drive, and then update the win.ini file to
execute it the next time the system was booted.

Rather than last modification time of the file,
perhaps creation time would be of more interest to
you.  You could correspond this w/ the LastWrite
time of any Registry keys created/modified by the
installation of NetBus.  From there, I'd
definitely look for other files on the system that
had been created shortly thereafter.

Also, check the Temp dir for .exes.

As far as nailing down exactly how the Trojan got
on the system, have you considered interviewing
the user?  If it's possible, an interview might
speed up your analysis a bit.  I'd suggest not
mentioning the rather obvious XXX web surfing the
user has done, unless it becomes necessary to
'turn up the heat' a bit.

Carv