Re: information

From: Thomas Akin (takinat_private)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 16:21:41 PST

    On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 11:52:22PM +1100, daniel heinonen wrote:
    > >2.Should I refer to computer forensics as a science or discipline ?
    > I believe it has elements of both a science and a discipline as I see there
    > being a great need for a research element in the community.  I do see it
    > being referred to as a science as well, as the procedures and processes
    > which are followed are based on those used by scientists.  I believe it is
    > dependant on your document if referring to the study of computer forensics
    > or the community.  I am probably going to get slaughtered for this view but
    > i would love to know what others thing about this.

    I recently attended a national computer crime conference
    where 24 states discussed this very topic... The consensus
    seemed to be that seizing digital evidence and creating
    forensic images was more of a science, while the
    investigation and corresponding computer forensic
    examination is more of an art...

    Interestingly, without the human side of the investigation
    much computer evidence tends to be of minimal value. People
    have successfully claimed that "I didn't do it, the computer
    did" or "the computer said click 'yes', so I did..."  to get
    off the hook... Digitial Evidence's strength seems to be
    primarily in either providing leads for further
    investigation or corroborating an investigations physical
    evidence...

    Hope this helps...

    Thomas
    --

    Thomas Akin, CISSP
    Director, Southeast Cybercrime Institute