Re: information

From: daniel heinonen (d.heinonenat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 04:52:22 PST

    Hi Marcelo,

    >I would like to ask how is the actual state of the research on
    >computer forensic standards. I mean, are there papers related to this
    >issue ?

    IACIS - http://www.cops.org/forensic_examination_procedures.htm
    A good site -
    http://www.oas.org/juridico/english/Present/Digital%20Evidence%20Standards%20(Public).ppt

    The web is very good to find this information, At present the only
    standards i refer to is IACIS however i would assume departments have well
    documented procedures and standards for their employees to follow.

    >Some more technical questions:
    >
    >1.What is the difference between criminalistics and forensic science ?

    Forensics would be the receiving evidence and giving an un bias conclusion
    of your findings.  Where i see criminalistics as being the use of these
    findings with the combination of other evidence to put together a case.  It
    is useful for an forensic examiner to know about mo of specific criminals
    to help find evidence, however it is not always the case that the forensic
    examiner takes a case from start to finish.  I know of a case where a
    department is separated into investigators (sworn police) and examiners
    (not always sworn police) who work together to achieve the desired outcome.

    >2.Should I refer to computer forensics as a science or discipline ?

    I believe it has elements of both a science and a discipline as I see there
    being a great need for a research element in the community.  I do see it
    being referred to as a science as well, as the procedures and processes
    which are followed are based on those used by scientists.  I believe it is
    dependant on your document if referring to the study of computer forensics
    or the community.  I am probably going to get slaughtered for this view but
    i would love to know what others thing about this.

    >3.Are there laws governing electronic evidence in US, and other countries

    Well yes.  If you make a nice table can i get a copy : )

    Mostly i see it as being ammendments to old criminal code, some references
    i used include:

    Kerr, O.S. 2000, "Searching and Seizing Computers and Obtaining Electronic
    Evidence in Criminal Investigations", Computer Crime and Intellectual
    Property Section

    Barrett, N. Digital Crime, 1996, Kogan Page, London

    >4.Could you point me some references related to these questions ?

    google, i have retrieved many great resources from search engines.

    You see my document found at the url included below.  I would reference
    that paper but in the bibliography there are many links that you would find
    helpful.

    http://www.fineartforum.org/staff/daniel/compEvid01.pdf

    Good luck and all that,

    Daniel Heinonen