RE: hiding data on NTFS drives

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 05:41:42 PST

    > I think this just means adding a couple extra steps
    > to a typical investigation.

    Agreed.  Making judgement calls regarding the type of
    case, and technical sophistication of the suspect can
    be a Very Bad Thing(tm).  Including a scan for ADSs
    during a live investigation is an excellent idea, but
    only after the MAC times have been retrieved from the
    files.

    Also, having a means of performing signature analysis
    on arbitrary ADSs would be useful...though not
    conclusive if the suspect were really sophisticated
    and had taken steps to "protect" themselves.

    > Typically, when I am looking at a NT
    > or Win2K box that
    > has been owned it is in my workplan to check for
    > files hidden in ADSs.

    What tools do you use?  I assume this is after making
    a bit image copy of the drive.

    Just out of curiousity, has anyone ever 'seen' an ADS
    with EnCase?  Many forensics books (shout outs to Jay
    Heiser, Warren Kruse, and Eoghan Casey!!) use screen
    captures of EnCase to illustrate their points.  "The
    Handbook of Computer Crime Investigations" has several
    such screen captures in Bob Sheldon's chapter on
    Windows forensics, showing what the Registry entries
    look like in EnCase 3.0.  Does anyone have any screen
    captures of alternate data streams?

    > I also use alternate data streams a lot when doing
    > pen-tests as it is
    > great to hide all of my tools in the \temp\
    > directory and either launch
    > them from the ADS or simply unhide them, use them,
    > then hide them again.

    Well, at least someone's using them!

    Benny and Ratter of 29A released a virus called
    W2K.Stream a bit ago that made use of ADSs.  Not very
    effective use, but it still used them.  So as of now,
    other than anything done by specific pen-testers,
    there doesn't seem to be much of a use for ADSs.

    MS, however, does use them in Explorer on 2K.  You can
    create and view the contents of very specific ADSs on
    files through Explorer.  So...once again...MS has a
    'feature' that they don't advertise, no tools
    available to detect ADSs, and yet they use them in
    some very specific cases.

    > Perhaps Anti-Virus vendors need to incorporate the
    > ability to check for
    > ADSs during a scan -- would make life much easier.

    Yes, perhaps.  I attended an ISS conference in Atlanta
    in March, '01.  I stopped by the Trend Micro booth and
    asked the person there if their product took NTFS
    alternate data streams into account.  She responded
    with, "yes, we have modules for Exchange."  After I
    recovered from that one, I thanked her for her time...

    Perhaps if a major, high-profile case were found to
    make use of ADSs, then perhaps things would change.
    Fortunately for admins (and perhaps the A/V companies,
    as well) some of the viruses and worms that come out
    aren't very well written and the authors don't seem to
    use a lot of imagination when crafting them.  Also, if
    the motivation of the author were to change from "I
    wanna be on CNN" to "I want to get in and out w/o
    anyone knowing I'm there", I think we'd see more ADSs
    and other sophisticated methods of data persistence.