RE: Top Ten List!?

From: Jarrod Frates (fusionat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 21:00:12 PST

    Ontrack's Easy Recovery Professional v5.1
    Symantec Ghost 7.0

    Granted, I'm not a professional.  I'm more of an advanced desktop tech
    (witness my n00b Linux skills) with some security background, so I'm
    usually after easier-to-find things, like user-deleted files or virus
    remnants as part of follow-up investigations.  However, I've found ERP
    to be essential in finding some data thought long gone.  I switched to
    ERP from the utility formerly known as PowerQuest Lost & Found after
    discovering that ERP did a better job in a quarter of the time.

    I use Ghost more to avoid modifying files.  I can Ghost the drive, and
    then use Ghostwalker (part of the package) to peruse the image file and
    pull copies of anything I need to examine more closely.  We usually have
    to do this in a virus aftermath.  One of the nicer things about the
    newer versions of Ghost is the built-in CD-R/CD-RW support, complete
    with spanning.  I'm hoping for DVD+RW support in the next version.
    Spanning 8-10 CDs sucks.

    At the same time, I also have a couple of wipedisk utilities to mess
    with anyone who wants to look into my tracks.  Numbskull that I am, the
    disks are at work, so I don't know what the exact source and versions
    are, but they can do a reasonable wipe in about 30 minutes on a 20GB
    drive, and a complete, essentially unrecoverable wipe if I let them run
    overnight.