RE: Top Ten List!?

From: Richard Chadderton (rchadderat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 10:10:44 PST

    On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Jarrod Frates wrote:

    {snip}
    > I use Ghost more to avoid modifying files.  I can Ghost the drive, and
    > then use Ghostwalker (part of the package) to peruse the image file and
    > pull copies of anything I need to examine more closely.
    > One of the nicer things about the newer versions of Ghost is the
    > built-in CD-R/CD-RW support, complete with spanning.  I'm hoping for
    > DVD+RW support in the next version.  Spanning 8-10 CDs sucks.
    > At the same time, I also have a couple of wipedisk utilities to mess
    > with anyone who wants to look into my tracks.

    Forget CDs or DVDs. Buy a bunch of big hard drives (they're cheaper
    than dirt) and get some removeable trays, and build yourself a new PC for
    imaging disks with. Find someone's bootable CD Linux (TRINUX is great) and
    stick it in. After it boots, login and do this:

      dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb

    And watch the blinking lights for a couple hours.

    The dd utility is your friend. The if= and of= commands tell it which
    input file or output file to use. /dev/hda is your original source
    IDE(master) disk, and /dev/hdb is your new copy (slave) disk. Just make
    sure your copy disk is larger than the original. When it's done a prompt
    will show up. At this point you can just turn off the PC if you want, and
    secure the original.

    If you ever need to reuse a drive, you should make sure it's clean first.
    Do this:

      dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/hdb
      dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdb

    The using the /dev/urandom file lets you spew random trash over the drive,
    using /dev/zero wipes the disk clean. Kind of like soap and water for your
    dirty disk. Most people are happy with this, although the truly paraniod
    will want to repeat it a couple of times.

    An since you're now a Linux pro, you can do things like this:

      dd if=/dev/hda | strings > interesting-data.bin

    which will scan through the disk and pull out anything that looks like a
    word and put it into a file for you. (watch out, it might be a big
    file...)

    Disclaimer:  Regular readers of this list will of course have several
    refinements to suggest. The above is meant as a simple introduction to the
    process to demonstrate how easy it is, not as a definitive reference.
    Commercial packages such as Encase are more readily accepted, and perhaps
    harder to screw up, etc, etc...

    Cheers!
    ---
    Richard Chadderton