Re: Tracing MS Word documents

From: Colin Harford (colin.harfordat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 11:25:27 PST

    On 17/1/02 3:07 AM, "Langa Kentane" <Langa.Kentaneat_private> wrote:

    > Greetings,
    > I am looking for a tools that will prove that a certain word document was
    > created on a certain machine using the Globally Unique Identifier feature of
    > MS Office.
    >
    > Any ideas is there is such a tool and where I can get it.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Langa

    I ran into a situation over the summer, where it became necessary to find
    out who wrote a MS Word document.

    We used a program called BBEdit (by BareBones) and had it open the document
    like a txt file, which showed us all the creator, modifications, serial key,
    time and original save location.  This of course, was done on a mac, but the
    same principles should apply on a windows box, as a MS Word document retains
    all the same information if on a mac or pc...

    HTH

    Colin Harford

    Systems and Network Administrator         Apple Product Professional
    Computer and Network Support
    University of Alberta Students' Union
    Phone: (780) 492-4241   Fax:  (780) 492-4643
    http://www.su.ualberta.ca

    "I sense much NT in you, NT leads to Blue Screen.
    Blue Screen leads to downtime, downtime leads to suffering.
    NT is the path to the darkside."
             - Unknown Unix Jedi