Re: Top Ten List!?

From: J. J. Horner (jhornerat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 06:38:23 PST

    * Titus, Jennifer (Titus.Jenniferat_private) [020116 19:39]:
    > I'm looking for new tools to purchase and want to take a poll of those of
    > you on this list.
    >
    > 1.  What is in your ESSENTIAL toolkit!  Some of the first things you reach
    > for when working through a case.  Software/hardware based...it doesn't make
    > a difference, just let me know.
    >
    > 2.  What have you used that was a complete waste of time or was damaging in
    > a case you worked on.

    If I were you, I'd buy a full tower system, add two SCSI cards (one cheap, one good),
    and a SCSI CDRW on the cheap/slow SCSI card.  Download the
    PLAC CD image from http://sourceforge.net/projects/plac/, and put two removable
    drive trays, one on each of the IDE controllers.

    You can get some cheap, yet large hard drives that will work for imaging, and the
    PLAC cd is a great tool for booting up to a good Linux system with dd and TCT,
    as well as nmap, tcpdump and a few other neat tools for network auditing.

    After you buy all of this (not too expensive, really), you should probably buy
    a good SCSI removable drive bay, in case you ever have to work on a SCSI drive,
    and a good selection of terminators, converters.  This will set you up with a
    good imaging system, and a good forensic workstation.

    The gentleman who administers this project is sharp and easy to work with, if you
    need help with the image.

    With enough memory, you can boot to the PLAC CD, save the entire system to RAM, and
    be able to use the CDRW to write CDs.

    Hope this helps,

    JJ

    --
    J. J. Horner
    "H*","6a686f726e657240326a6e6574776f726b732e636f6d"

    Freedom is an all-or-nothing proposition:  either we
    are completely free, or we are subjects of a
    tyrannical system.  If we lose one freedom in a
    thousand, we become completely subjugated.