Re: Tracing MS Word documents

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 10:13:33 PST

    On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 12:07:18PM +0200, Langa Kentane wrote:
    > I am looking for a tools that will prove that a certain word document was
    > created on a certain machine using the Globally Unique Identifier feature of
    > MS Office.

    (a) I thought there was enough ruckus about it that microsoft removed
    the feature and offered patches to turn it off for the few products that
    had it turned on.

    (b) A good editor will have no problems at all falsifying any such GUID.
    "Prove" is entirely the wrong word to use here.

    (c) Last time I looked for it, I think I found my computer's ethernet
    MAC embedded in the file in Unicode. It stuck out like a sore thumb, so
    if you were lucky enough that the computer in question had a NIC, and
    the user in question didn't alter it, and the Word version in question
    generated the GUID, you might be able to find the MAC by poking around
    in the document with an editor.

    --
    "I'm not sure which upsets me more: that people are so unwilling
    to accept responsibility for their own actions, or that they are