Re: Tracing MS Word documents

From: Nick Lange (nicklangeat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 19:14:50 PST

    Quick Note:
    Although I never messed with the headers / meta data, the contents of the
    file itself have minimal modification checks added to it such that if the
    file has bytes added or deleted [at least from the content fields], word
    will refuse to open it.
    If the file opens in word, then unless they know the structure of word files
    [does anyone?], you can at least have a 90% assurance that nothing was added
    or deleted to the file; however, they may have chosen to overwrite parts of
    the file [i.e. replacing], but that's another story. I guess the best way
    would be to try it yourself for the header fields, see if the same checks
    apply, that way you can have minimal assurances the file has not been quick
    tampered with. i.e. they would have to have done a little work to remove or
    alter header information for the file.
    nick