Re: Suggestions for research

From: Matt Pepe (mtpepe@code-monks.com)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 08:40:55 PST

    > There is one good topic: to define data format for Evidence collection
    > capable for court admission. You can touch legal issues as little as
    > you
    > want but still deal with really CS related issues.

    Actually, I dont believe that he would get much credit for such a topic,
    unless the professor had little knowledge of evidence collection and the
    legal issues involved.  This is not a CS problem.  Sure we can produce
    MD5 and SHA1 hashes for every sector, hash those results, pass the
    resultant hashes to five third-party independent data warehouses.. Hell,
    print the hashes on the side of a Ariane 5 rocket, launch it into space, and
    require  the deposition of an astronaut as a fact witness, reading the
    values during orbit.
    The fact is that the hashes are there for data integrity, mainly to prove that
    when the embodiment of the evidence changes (actual device to raw
    image to CDs, to Safeback image, etc) the information has not changed.
    This technology and mathematics behind the algorithms has been
    proven, both in "real life" and in court.  When it comes down to the
    accuracy of the evidence obtained, that rests on the shoulders of the
    investigators involved. This is no different than tracking evidence, both
    actual and demonstrative, in any other case.

    > And one more benefits, you can do useful thing for ongoing
    development
    > of the IODEF (Incident Object Description and Exchange Format)

    This looks quite interesting! How widespread is this task force, and does
    it mesh with some of the vulnerability databases out there (CVE, for
    example)?

    -- Matt