Re: Encase and data recovery

From: Matt Pepe (mtpepe@code-monks.com)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 13:33:27 PST

    One thing to keep in mind when using VMWare to examine a live operating system,
    is that while changes are not made to the virtual hard drive, what the user
    sees *is* a modified copy. Filesystem metadata, registry information, among
    other things cannot be relied upon for accuracy.

    Do not get me wrong - I competely agree with you, and I use VMWare for this
    purpose, and I regularly send fan mail to their developers (no, not really.)
    It's just a point worth keeping in mind during analysis.

    -- Matt