Re: Encase and data recovery

From: Kurt Seifried (bugtraqat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 13:01:50 PST

    > Ah yes... the big question how to do that with Windows since Microsoft
    > doesn't have the equivalent to a loopback mount (none that Im aware of
    > though I hope to be shown that Im wrong.)  Am I incorrect?

    Yup. Tools like PGPDisk, BestCrypt all use a pseudo filesystem/disk driver
    to mount a file as a drive.

    > The assumption HERE is that we have a "RAW NTFS image" obtained using
    dd.exe
    > (Unix Port) from the filesystem.
    >
    > 1.  Either use a physical blocker on the drive if you have one.
    > 2.  Mount using loopback in Linux'O'Choice in Read-Only mode.  NTFS is R-O
    > by default.  Then share the drive out over the network using Samba Server
    > and mount on examining system using file shares and map it as a new drive.
    > Voila! Read-Only, Sterile, NTFS solution for raw images (works with FAT
    > filesystem too, but make SURE you mount using the read-only option.)

    Or use vmware to simply boot a windows system and view it, or boot it from
    within vmware itself (may have hardware issues though =). Beauty with
    vmwareof course is you can set it to not write to the disk, allowing you to
    play with an image.

    > The question is how to you examine a NTFS filesystem in a sterile state?
    > Any other methods in use?

    vmware can be useful.

    Related to this I wrote an article on honeypotting with vmware, part of it
    covers doing the forensics

    http://seifried.org/security/ids/20020107-honeypot-vmware-basics.html

    > Rob

    Kurt Seifried, kurtat_private