Static Forensic Analysis in Japanese (and other Languages)

From: Doug.Barbinat_private
Date: Fri Mar 29 2002 - 18:28:26 PST

    I've got an interesting issue that I'm tackling with that I thought I'd
    throw out to the group for discussion.  I'm going to Japan to perform
    forensic imaging and analysis of several laptop PC's.  I'm assuming that
    aside from power conversion and a few other idiosyncrasies, the imaging
    piece will not be a problem.  A few more details, these machines will be
    Windows 2000 laptops, most likely imaged using EnCase or dd.  I'll have the
    ability to run either EnCase or FTK Forensic Suites against it the images as
    well as all of the freely available command line tools.  Linux is a
    possibility as well.

    The interesting piece comes into the analysis portion.  Of interest will be
    e-mail, files, and deleted space.  I was wondering if anyone had any
    experience performing key word (or grep) searches and other types of
    analytics in Kanji (Japanese) or another language that does not use
    English-like characters.  I do not think you can type Japanese terms into
    EnCase.  I'm also guessing FTK's DTSearch Indexing function will not allow
    me to index in Kanji.  Command line tools, I imagine will depend on the
    interface.

    Some ideas so far . . . feel free to add:
    - The e-mail will be in .pst files.  Therefore, I should be able to mount it
    in a Japanese configured PC, with Outlook so that a Japanese person can read
    through the e-mails.  FTK may also be able to parse the e-mail assuming the
    character sets are installed on the analysis PC.
    - I could use a Win32 port of grep on a Japanese configured PC.
    - Ontrack PowerDesk has a halfway decent search utility I could run on a
    Japanese PC.
    - I could use a Japanese PC to convert the sought after words to Hex and
    then run those searches in EnCase.

    Any other ideas/experiences?  Thanks.

    -DB

    Douglas W. Barbin, CISSP, CFE
      Principal Consultant
       W: 925.945.8093 E-Fax: 240.331.6030 M: 415.806.4064
       528-C North Civic Drive
       Walnut Creek, CA 94596  www.guardent.com
       PGP: 64CB ACA8 0474 B9AF 1B24 6756 FA80 A274 55A3 4122
    G U A R D E N T
      Enterprise Security and Privacy Programs