Re: Desktop files enumerated in windows user.dat?

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 09:54:52 PDT

    On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 04:08:15PM -0400, Burnette, Michael wrote:
    > Is anyone aware of what the file listing at the end of a Windows 98
    > User.dat is?  When I open the file with a text editor I see the
    > following (binary removed):

    Well, part of the problem is that User.dat can have a pretty arbitrary
    format -- just because your user.dat has filenames that are on the
    desktop near the end doesn't mean that other user.dat files might have
    filenames that are available through an ftp server, or were recently
    downloaded from other SMB hosts on the network, or god knows why else.

    If I am not mistaken, the Win98 registry editor can view registry files
    from other machines. (Work on a copy. :) Using the registry editor, you
    could see _where_ in the registry these files were referenced, and that
    might be more useful to you.

    Cheers :)

    --
    http://www.wirex.com/