RE: DD -> Netcat NT Imaging

From: Ken Seitz (kenat_private)
Date: Sun Jun 16 2002 - 04:46:56 PDT

    First, Biatchux is a great tool!  Thanks for bringing it to my
    attention!

    Now then, I've been attempting to image a Linux system using the method
    being discussed, but I'm unable to mount the drive after the image is
    copied..

    Box booting on Biatchux: "
    	fdisk /dev/had (nuke and create a partition)
    	mke2fs /dev/hda3
    	nc -l -p 4000 | dd of=/dev/hda3 bs=512
    System to be copied:
    	dd if=/dev/sda1 bs=512 | nc a.b.c.d 4000

    I get an invalid superblock error when trying to mount /dev/hda3 on the
    system receiving the image.  I've tried dd with and without the
    'conv=swab' option.  Can you folks suggest something that I am
    overlooking here?  Do my partitions have to be the same exact geometry?

    Thanks in advance for the assistance.

    Regards,
    Ken Seitz
    kenat_private