Stand-alone Hard Drive Duplicating Devices

From: J Jewitt (jjewitt2001at_private)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 09:17:43 PDT

       All,
      A few months ago, a post came through asking about
    forensic duplication devices. I'd like to revisit that
    issue.
      My organization has a need to be able to quickly
    duplicate hard drives for forensic purposes, and we're
    now exploring these devices as an option.
      We have a system in our forensics lab which uses
    Trinux (and soon Biatchux) to duplicate as well, so
    those paths have already been explored.
      Analysis of the image is typically done using
    Encase. Encase can support a raw dd-type image or
    capture from the original hard drive.

      These are my requirements:
      1. Support for SCSI and IDE hard drives
      2. Fairly fast duplication (approx 1 G/min)
      3. Claim of forensic-quality capabilities
      4. Methodology does not rely on duplicating to hard
    drive with identical geometry.
      5. Source drive write blocking by default.
      6. Nice to have: optional evidence tag printer, hash
    or checksum generator.
      7. Must be very portable.

    We've looked at the following products, at their web
    site:

    www.ics-iq.com          Solo Product Line
    www.logicube.com        Forensic SF5000

    Does anyone have EXPERIENCE with a device like the
    above, and is willing to recommend it?

         Thanks in advance,
           J Jewitt