Re: Stand-alone Hard Drive Duplicating Devices

From: Robert Goto (rgotoat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 19 2002 - 21:09:40 PDT

    We have worked with the Logicube and we have quite a few units. It works
    fine for IDE drives and you do not have to have the exact same drive.  Its
    speed is within the range that you are looking for.  The Logicube has
    limited SCSI support(PCMCIA).........as does the Image Masster system.  Both
    of them are very slow when it comes to SCSI about 5mb/sec or something else
    dreadfully slow.  For SCSI and IDE capability I personally use the device
    made by Corporate Systems.(corpsys.com). it is slower when it comes to IDE
    but you get both SCSI and IDE in one unit.    Cost wise the Corporate
    Systems unit sell for just about $1000.00 while the Logicube's and the Image
    Masster products are approximately 50% more.
    One issue we have come across with Logicube is its tolerance for drives with
    bad sectors.  We have found that the Logicube can't handle them all too
    well.
    One plus that the Image Masster seems to have is that in its newest
    iteration of firmware it claims to be able to detect host protected
    areas.......
    I also use two very portable units made by  a company in Taiwan.  There
    speed is about the speed of the Corporate Systems devices but it has quite a
    few pluses.
    a.  It is very small.--it doesn't have its own power supply but it fits in
    the palm of your hand.
    b.  It handles bad sectors quite well.
    c.  It can image partitions.........
    d.  It costs a lot less--<$400.00