Re: irc

From: InfoEmergencias - Luis Gómez (lgomezat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 18:34:39 PDT

    El mar, 18-06-2002 a las 19:13, Peter Kristolaitis escribió:
    > This depends on the IRC client being used.  mIRC, for example, does not
    > store chat logs anywhere but its own log files (if session logging is enabled).
    > Windows itself would not make any logs of IRC chat sessions, since that
    > would involve intercepting, decoding and logging basically ALL TCP traffic
    > into/out of the box.
    > It would be my guess that not many clients have a 'hidden log' 'feature',
    > either... in most environments, there would be little to no point in doing
    > this.

    Just a detail, I may be wrong with this but let's try...

    IRC windows are usually kept in memory for a while so that you can, for
    instance, see what JohnSmith said 20 minutes ago.

    In case the machine ran out of RAM during the execution of the IRC
    client, it might swap the process to disk, along with all its data
    (which in the case of IRC client is exactly what we're looking for). The
    only thing you need to know is the format in which those data are stored
    in memory, and I guess you may expect the same format to be found in the
    disk.

    If (and only if) all this I've said is right, then you just have to run
    lazarus (TCT is great!) on the disk, and skim through the whole of
    the disk looking for some data pattern, codified in whatever manner.

    The data pattern could be, for instance, the characters '<' and '>'
    sepparated by some other chars, 'cause if I'm OK the conversation is
    always displayed in the way:
    <Donald> Hi Mickey
    <Mickey> Hìya!
    <Donald> How about me visiting you tonight?
    <Mickey> Great!!

    Well :) Now seriously, can anybody get the point of what I'm saying?
    Maybe it's all nonsense, but at least I gave it a try! :)

    As usual, comments are welcome

    Regards,

    	Pope

    --